Public voting for the Door Decoration Contest is underway. Cast you vote by “liking” your favorite door in the Facebook album: DiscoverU Door Decoration Contest. Voting is open between now and October 17 at 11:59pm.
DiscoverU Week, Oct. 14-18, 2019, is an exciting week for the community to come together and support all students in exploring college and career options, through activities in school and the community. The DiscoverU Classroom Door Decoration Contest allows you to display your college and career exploration spirit. We’re looking for creative doors that promote college and career exploration. Engage your students and have fun decorating! The submission deadline is Monday, Oct. 14, 5 p.m., and winners will be announced Friday, Oct. 18, 12 p.m.
How to submit your door
- Decorate your room door to promote college and career exploration. Go all out!
- Take a picture of your door
- Submit your picture(s)
- Email your picture(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org or post on social media using the hashtag #DiscoverUWA and tag us @DiscoverUWA (must be a public social media account for us to see your entry)
- Include your name and school or community-based organization
- Contestants must submit at least one picture of their door, but are strongly encouraged to submit additional pictures of their door that include the staff member(s) and/or student(s) who helped to decorate the door. Any photos submitted with students must have media releases on file for the students pictured.
- Oct. 7-11: Begin decorating your door!
- Monday, Oct. 14, 5 p.m.: Deadline to submit your door picture, post it on social media or email us your door
- Wednesday, Oct. 16, 9 a.m.: DiscoverU staff post the top 20 doors online for public vote
- Wednesday and Thursday, Oct. 16-17: Public voting on grand prize door, people will have the opportunity to vote online for their favorite door
- Thursday, Oct. 17, 11:59 p.m.: Voting ends
- Friday, Oct. 18: Award winners will be announced at the end of DiscoverU week and featured on our social media platforms
Only public schools and nonprofit organizations located in Seattle and South King County are eligible to apply. This contest is an effort to support college and career exploration in the Road Map Project region, which encompasses the following school districts: Auburn, Federal Way, Highline, Kent, Renton, Seattle, and Tukwila. In addition, only one entry is allowed per educator.
Eleven total prizes will be awarded. The Grand Prize winner for Best Door Overall will be determined via a public vote, and receive a pizza party, as well as a $200 gift card to spend on their classroom or youth program. The other 10 awards will be selected by DiscoverU staff, and go to Best in District and category winners.
Public Vote Awards
Prize: Pizza party for your classroom and $200 gift card to spend on your classroom or youth program for winning door
- Grand Prize–Best Door Overall
DiscoverU Staff Selection Awards
Prize: $150 gift card to spend on your classroom or youth program.
- Best Postsecondary Pathway Themed Door
- Best Career Themed Door
- Most Creative
- Best in District
- Auburn School District
- Federal Way Public Schools
- Highline Public Schools
- Kent School District
- Renton School District
- Seattle Public Schools
- Tukwila School District
Public Vote Details
An online platform will be utilized to post the doors for public voting. The URL for voting will be announced on this page, as well as through our DiscoverU newsletter once voting opens. Voting will be open from Oct. 16, 9 a.m. to Oct. 17 11:59 p.m. The top vote getter will be determined as the best overall door.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Does it have to be a classroom door?
A: No. You can decorate any door in a school or community-based organization. There is, however, a maximum of one entry per person.
Q: Do I need to have a public social media account to enter?
A: We will not be able to see any entries on private social media accounts. However, you can email your entry to email@example.com.
Q: Can I enter the contest if my school is not in the current school districts Auburn, Federal Way, Highline, Kent, Renton, Seattle, and Tukwila?
A: Unfortunately, your school must be located Road Map Project region in order to enter the contest. Only public schools in Auburn, Federal Way, Highline, Kent, Renton, Seattle, and Tukwila districts are eligible.
Q: Can I enter the contest if my youth program is not in Seattle or South King County?
A: Unfortunately, your youth program must be located in Seattle or South King County in order to be eligible.
Q: Are there any examples of decorated doors?
A: Here some doors that were decorated for DiscoverU Week in past years.